Begun in 1925, St. John's Cathedral of Spokane is a regional icon and architectural delight
The original dream of a great cathedral in Spokane came to The Right Reverend Edward Makin Cross in 1924, shortly after he arrived to be the new missionary bishop. Together with architect Harold C. Whitehouse, the Bishop began to plan for a gothic cathedral atop the hill. The dream became reality within the lifetime of Bishop Cross, the only time known that a major cathedral has been completed within the lifetime of the founding bishop. The Cathedral has classical Gothic architecture with a strong French influence. It is solid masonry; no structural wood or steel were used. The dedication of the first section of the church was on October 20, 1929, but construction lagged during the Great Depression and World War II. Starting again in 1948, gradually more sections were added. By 1961, the building assumed its present form. For more information about the architecture, see the downloadable document below.
The stained glass windows in the Cathedral were created by Charles J. Connick and Associates of Boston and Willet Stained Glass Studio of Philadelphia. Each series of windows illustrates a story. The chancel windows tell of significant events in the life of Jesus. The large nave windows depict major figures of the Old and New Testaments. The lower nave windows follow the history of the Christian church up to the time of local Inland Northwest events. For more information about the windows, see the downloadable document below.