St John's Cathedral serves people in the Spokane community and throughout the world
The Windfall Thrift Store
1024 S. Perry ~ (509) 534-3888
Hours: 12:30pm-5:30pm Tuesday-Friday and noon-5pm Saturday
The Windfall, established by the women of St. John's in the 1960's, contains low cost clothing, shoes, household items, books, and other "treasures" including seasonal decorations. Vintage clothing and collectibles are occasionally listed on Craigs list.
All items are donated and all donations (except electronics) are gratefully accepted.
The Windfall is operated solely by volunteers and the income generated is devoted to outreach programs of St. John's, and needs of the South Perry community.
Like them on Facebook: Windfall Thrift Store
St. John's is active in a number of ministries that address homelessness and hunger.
Family Promise provides families shelter, support and the means to sustain their independence. Every 12 weeks, St. John's hosts Family Promise families for a week - providing a safe place to sleep, dinner and breakfast, and helping homeless families sustain changes that last.
Dinner Table is one of the ministries of the West Central Episcopal Mission in Spokane. St. John's contributes people power and financial support to the Dinner Table and other ministries at Holy Trinity.
From the West Central Episcopal Mission website:
- The Dinner Table gathers 80 to 100 West Central neighbors each week for a hot, family-style meal. This ministry has become a nexus for healing and community for guests and volunteers alike. In this context, the rich eat alongside the poor, the broken share table with the healed, and the lost are not alone. We’ve recently expanded to offer Breakfast Table on Saturday mornings.
- We have also worked with our neighbors to transformed our vacant lot into a thriving community garden. In addition to providing produce for Dinner Table and an opportunity for neighbors to garden, we often find the hungry gleaning fresh vegetables from the beds. This offers another opportunity for relationship, and we pray that the garden will become a catalyst for community organizing and action.
- We also offer weekly cooking classes that focus on helping people eat healthy foods on tight budgets. In the summer, we collaborate with Project H.O.P.E., offering similar classes to the youth they employ in urban farming and landscape maintenance.
In the summer of 2013, St. John's created a Community Garden in a sunny area just east of the Cathedral. Fresh vegetables, interesting herbs and other tasty delights are thriving in raised beds tended by Cathedral members and our neighbors at Canterbury Court. Contact the office if you'd like to join this adventure in urban gardening.
Several St. John's members help deliver hot, nutritious meals to homebound elderly through Meals on Wheels.
On-going ministries include donating new socks to those who are homeless, and collecting grocery donations for Second Harvest.
Affordable Housing for Seniors
Established in 1973 as a separate corporation with board members named by the Cathedral Chapter, St. John's Properties provides affordable housing for persons age 55+ in the Spokane area, currently maintaining 244 apartments eligible for subsidy, 125 at Canterbury Court, 1010 South Rockwood Boulevard, and 119 at Winchester Court, 4100 North Cook Street.
Our Outreach Committee continually looks for needs in our community and coordinates financial and hands-on support for those needs, including the following Spokane-area programs:
- Crosswalk - Services to homeless teens
- Shalom Ministries - Ministry with street people and low-income residents
- Cup of Cool Water - Provides services to homeless teens
- Meals on Wheels - Provides home-delivered meals to people in need
- Family Promise Spokane - Safe, temporary housing for qualified homeless families
- Daybreak Youth Services - Provides adolescent substance use disorder and co-occuring mental health treatment
- Martin Luther King Center - Provides comprehensive education, social services and cultural enrichment programs for children and families
St. John's also contributes to the Steven R. Novak Foundation, created in memory of the founder of Far East Handicrafts, Steve Novak (1967-1995), and funding projects such as Shree Mahankal Primary School, and free eye care.